This last week capped off the US Grand Prix at Mammoth Mountain in California. One of the top resorts on the west coast, Mammoth has always been an interesting spot for me to ski.pon arrival, we got to check see the bottom of the course. The jumps were huge, and if everything worked out, it was going to be one of the best weeks. Unfortunately, things don’t always go according to plan, and in Mammoth’s case that normally means the weather.

First day of practice was cancelled due to snow, winds, and visibility. Day two, we were able to have practice, but unfortunately had lots of wind. While it was good to get some time on the course, I was feeling extremely sick, and was very happy when practice was over. The next few days we had off due to other competing, and bad weather rolling in. These factors made us have to postpone the entire contest till Sunday.

David Wise boosting the pipe. While we had a down day, we were able to watch the pipe contest.

David Wise boosting the pipe. While we had a down day, we were able to watch the pipe contest.

 

Sunday morning we were greeted by sunshine, and good conditions. We arrived up to the slope course around 8:30 for our practice to start. First couple of runs through the course was running smoothly, and we was looking good, then the winds came in. The rest of the practice brought on frustration by everyone. With winds varying so much, almost everyone was coming up short on the last jump. While this provided a sketchy platform for everyone, It didn’t help that majority of us were being rushed through the practice. When practice was over, we were pissed. Being rushed, and told you have to throw down in sketchy conditions upset all of us, and after much arguing and deliberation. It was decided to have an additional 15 mins of practice, and still do the entire course. Thankfully, the wind improved, and we were able to have a good contest.

Photo by: Ilanna Emily

Photo by: Ilanna Emily

 

First run, was still a bit slow, and I didn’t do my last double flip or else I would of came up short. On my second run, I was able to improve, and ended up going so big that I was able to do a double flip with some time to spare. Thankfully I was just able to squeak into finals. When finals rolled around, we had a consistent tail wind for the course. While we were all going large on the last jump, it at least meant we wouldn’t have to worry about landing on the deck. This was easily one of the more crazy finals i’ve been apart of. With wind being such a variable, i’m just glad all of us came out ok.

Till the next time,

 

-Noah 

Comment